How to keep yourself fit and healthy whilst you are expecting a baby
Staying active during pregnancy can help you feel better, reduce stress, and prepare your body for childbirth. However, it’s important to exercise safely and appropriately during pregnancy. Here are some top tips for exercising during pregnancy:
- Talk to your healthcare provider: Before starting any exercise programme, it’s important to talk to your healthcare provider to make sure it’s safe for you and your baby. This is especially important if you have any medical conditions or complications during pregnancy. If you are already very active,, check with your healthcare professional and coach about the impact of pregnancy on your training regime and diet as soon as you can.
- Choose low-impact exercises: Low-impact exercises such as walking, swimming, and prenatal or pregnancy yoga are generally safe for pregnant women and can help improve cardiovascular health, flexibility, and strength. Some pelvic floor exercises recommended for pregnancy might be beneficial too.
- Stay hydrated: It’s important to drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercise to stay hydrated and prevent overheating.
- Avoid lying on your back: After the first trimester, avoid exercises that require you to lie flat on your back, as this can reduce blood flow to the uterus.
- Listen to your body: Pay attention to your body and adjust your exercise routine as needed. Avoid overexertion and stop if you experience any pain, dizziness, or shortness of breath.
- Wear appropriate clothing: Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and supportive shoes that provide good traction to reduce the risk of falls.
- Don’t push yourself too hard: Pregnancy is not the time to push yourself to your limits. Focus on maintaining a moderate level of exercise and aim for consistency rather than intensity.
Remember, the goal of exercise during pregnancy is to maintain overall health and fitness, not to achieve a certain level of performance. With these tips in mind, you can safely and effectively incorporate exercise into your pregnancy routine.
Don’t forget you can #AskAnya for exercise recommendations for pregnancy too!